Ford Faesch House
Historical Society of Rockaway Township
Bryan Coward, Recreation Supervisor
Design Development, Bidding, Contract Documents, and Construction Phase Administration, Historic Structures Report Update
The Historic Ford Faesch House constructed by Colonel Jacob Ford, Jr. around 1772 is a fine example of the popular Georgian style architecture. This residence may have served as the prototype for Ford’s Mansion located in Morristown, which is currently interpreted as Washington’s Headquarters. The Ford-Faesch House is significant for its association with John Jacob Faesch an ironmaster who had extensive iron ore holdings, charcoal-producing woodlands, and waterpower-driven furnaces and forges in the Morris County region. Faesch controlled each of his large-scale financial and industrial ventures, making him instrumental in the development of eighteenth-century industry and transportation in the region. His iron products were critical in Colonial Army’s efforts during the Revolution. The house is listed on both the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
Connolly & Hickey has assisted the Township and the Historical Society with multiple projects, including masonry restoration floor framing repairs restoration of the windows, restoration of the roofline to its eighteenth-century appearance, restoration exterior doors and front entrance porch. This work provided a sound exterior building envelope and restored the exterior to its early 19th century appearance. Connolly & hickey also worked with the Historical Society in the update of their Historic Structure Report, which was prepared in 1995 and details the research and work that has gone into the building since that time. The Historic Structure Report update was completed in 2014. The most recent phase, restoration of the West wing and the cooking fireplace in the East wing, was completed in 2018.